Today while I was driving, I came to this conclusion: I am in the Winter season of my life. Life does have seasons. I am experiencing the cold, harsh, yet essential, season of Winter. It is not just about the weather. It is the Winter of my soul.
In the Winter, everything changes. It all goes dormant. The flowers wilt and fade, the grass dies, the leaves are long gone. There is not much green left, and everything is covered in a blanket of emptiness and cold. In some places it snows and freezes. I am very aware of the Winter characteristics my life has taken on. The long stretches of time spent alone, without my husband to spend time with. The many nights slept next to nobody, and cuddled up next to nothing. The dozens of moments I desire to share with Isaac, such as when Phoenix says a new word, but he is not here to experience things with me. Winter has made its company here. It is in the biting air outside, first thing in the morning. It is in the empty space of my home late at night. It is in my heart when I ache to be held in Isaac's arms.
I was encouraged, and smiled to myself, when I remembered what happens after Winter is over: Spring. Springtime, when the trees come to life again, and the flowers bloom in an array of colors, and the sky looks bluer and the air smells sweeter and the world is fresh and new again. Springtime, when we celebrate new life, and welcome good things back again. When the cold of Winter is long forgotten and the warmth of Spring is welcomed home.
My Spring is coming. I pray that the Lord will bring it to me now, but I know in my heart that these things cannot be rushed. Because without Winter, how could I appreciate the beauty of Spring? Without Winter, how could I have the brightness to look forward to? And without Winter, how could I know the things I am meant to learn?
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven...God has made everything beautful in its time." Ecclesiastes 3:1,11
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Ike and Jess
Bath time
Phoenix loves his bath
What a cutie
Look at that precious smile!
Family Time
Laughing and playing
Phoenix and Max
Play time
What's on Daddy's head?
pretty flowers in our backyard
Mommy and Me
Here's my cute boy!
Mom and baby in the Jeep
Our new-to-us car
I love my new high chair!
Wake Up Time
I slept through the night!
Just hanging out
What a cute smirk!
Smith Family
Spending time out in the Nevada desert
Sleepy baby
He sleeps a lot, huh?
Smith, Party of 5
Jess, Isaac, PHX, Max, and Jack
Wake up time!
Funny bath!
Mmm....blueberries!
Laughing with Daddy
I drink my sippy all by myself!
The View From the Porch
Phoenix and Daddy with one of the rabbits
Just goin' for a walk
Mom and Phoenix
My two guys, the loves of my life
Breakfast with Daddy is his favorite thing now
Phoenix playing with Brooklyn, our friends' daughter, in Arizona
Lily, my adorable sister
Loving his toy mower
Climbing into the laundry basket
Max was licking his hair, which made it crazier than usual.
I have been meaning to teach him how to stack these things up like this...
but then one night he figured it out all on his own!
Getting ready for church. I could not tame his hair, just like Isaac's!
Admiring his church clothes.
Like father, like son. They are watching Monster Trucks on youtube. They did this ALL MORNING. :)
We call these his Ninja Jammies. Isaac got them at a Dollar Store in California.
Playing in the sandbox, he loves to get dirty. What a boy!
Phoenix loves to take rides on Max's back
Being goofy
Our kitchen
Isaac made our headboard from barn wood
Phoenix in Mommy's tummy
My big boy!
Happy 24th to Isaac
Laughing after bath time
The whole family at church
Bath time with Aunt Lily
Phoenix was a little wiggly...
Us before I got pregnant
We miss Max!
We miss Jack too!
Almost a year old!
Daddy and phx in the pool
mr. frog
Phoenix loves swimming with Mommy
so much fun!
My hubby's new haircut!
The last shot of Isaac's long hair...
He loves the porch
Mommy and Phoenix
Cuddle time









No comments:
Post a Comment